View Single Post
Old 17-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator/ModeraNtor

fanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond reputefanpages has a reputation beyond repute

Default Notional talk like a pirate day

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvchosting View Post
many company's disagree and say it is illegal to use emulators because game sales will decrease drematically
As a computer systems developer myself (and somebody that has represented music artists previously, owns a large recorded media music collection since the mid-1970s, whilst similarly having a large computer & video games collection over many decades, as well as being a strong advocate of the UK movie industry with a similarly comprehensive collection of VHS cassettes, DVD & Blu-ray titles [some films purchased on all three formats]), I can fully appreciate the concerns that "piracy kills sales", but I do not believe the issue is as simple as that.

There is also the counter-argument, strengthened by very recent research, that indicates that those who download music from "the internet" are more inclined to then purchase the full commercial product:

"Study finds pirates 10 times more likely to buy music" (21 April 2009)

Retail sales are only lost if those that download the files (games. music, movies, or whatever) would have paid for the same items if a downloadable, (digital) format was not available.

A majority of people will take an item if it is free; if a nominal price is charged the demand will go down, and demand will diminish to very near (if not exactly) zero if the price is too high (as described in the simple economic "Supply & Demand" model).

I often wonder how monetary figures are put on piracy.

You often hear of news something like "UK Pirated DVDs cost the industry £10m per year" (or whatever), but just because somebody owns a download game, music album, movie, and so on, it does not mean that the same person would have purchased it, & effectively taken the revenue for the item from the associated industry.

As I stated above, game ROM/image files obtained by other means when they are still available at a retail point of sale (commercially) would be considered piracy, but if the games are no longer available for sale then is there any real difference in an individual purchasing the game pre-owned (second-hand) say, via eBay, or downloading the digital form?

The owner of the copyright invested in the product does not see any revenue in either instance.

BFN,

fp.

[ 1downGamer ]
---
Please note:
If you do not have the express written consent of the copyright holder (the “author”) of any original work, then duplication of any kind is a violation of the copyright law in place to protect the author. Attempts to explicitly share digital files where permission has not been given will be removed from 1upGamers.com. If you have written consent, please advise the Staff at 1upGamers before posting. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Last edited by fanpages; 19-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: (Replaced hyperlink)